New British Terrestrial Globe
William and Thomas Marriott Bardin
To the Honourable Sir Joseph Banks, President of the Royal Society, This New British Terrestrial Globe
London : 1799
Engraved by B.Baker, Islington
Globe comprised of 12 hand-colored engraving gores. Mounted in a three legged mahogany stand with compass, with wood arms supporting a wooden zodiacal circle and a brass meridian ring
Diameter of globe: 18"; Width 25", Length 42"
The Bardin Family was one of the greatest British globe makers of the late eighteenth to early nineteenth centuries. The firm was established by William Bardin (1740-1803) around 1780, when he collaborated with Gabriel Wright in producing 9 to 12 inch diameter globes. Their partnership ended around 1794/5, and the Bardin firm moved from Hind Court to 16 Salisbury Square, on the opposite end of Fleet Street in London.
After a seven year apprenticeship, William Bardin was joined by his son, Thomas Marriott Bardin (1768-1819) in 1790. The father-son team went on to produce their line of “New British Globes,” which
included orbs that measured to 18 inches. The company was later assumed by Thomas Marriot’s
daughter Elizabeth Marriott and her husband Samuel Sabine.
The featured globe is characteristic of the terrestrial globes of William and Thomas Marriott. It is
prominently dedicated to Sir Joseph Banks, then President of the Royal Society. Its inscription states that it is done after the delineations of Aaron Arrowsmith (1750-1823), the founding member of the Arrowsmith family of cartographers, whose carefully executed maps earned them an extensive reputation. The inscription also states the globe features the route of Captain Cook in his voyages around the world.